These pumpkin spice protein veggie oat bars are one of my favorite breakfasts to make ahead for busy work days, as an alternative to overnight oats! It includes protein from chickpeas, lots of veggies, whole grains as well as great flavor - pumpkin spice! There’s also added anti-inflammatory and antioxidant benefits from turmeric, and I like to add berries as well (especially blueberries for more antioxidants)!
The veggies in this are grated carrots, shredded zucchini, and riced cauliflower, and they don’t affect the taste! I love eating these bars toasted and spread with nut butter or sprinkled with Lil Bucks cinnamon buckwheat crunch (use code "barreandbrunch10" for 10% off!)!
If you want to save even more time, you can even add whole/large pieces of these veggies to the blender after blending the wet ingredients. If you are worried about the veggie taste, start with ¼ cup and then increase the amount the next time you make it, but I promise it tastes good!
Ingredients (makes 3-4 servings)
Wet (to blend)
1 cup pumpkin puree
1 mashed banana
½ cup plant-based milk
1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
2 tbsp ground flaxseed
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp pumpkin spice or a dash each: of nutmeg, allspice, cardamom, ginger
1 tsp turmeric and a dash of black pepper (to help the turmeric absorb better)
Optional: 1-2 tbsp liquid sweetener (ie maple syrup, honey)
2 cups oats
½ cup shredded carrots
¼ cup (~1/2 a medium/large zucchini) shredded zucchini (be sure to press out the extra water so this doesn’t get too soggy)
1 cup riced cauliflower
1 tsp baking powder
1. Preheat oven to 350F and lightly oil a baking pan.
2. Blend all wet ingredients in a blender or food processor until smooth - if you want to avoid cutting/shredding veggies, add them at the end and only partially blend so they are still present in small pieces.
3. Add the blended mixture to a large mixing bowl with the dry ingredients and mix well. Add in berries.
4. Pour the batter into the baking pan, and bake for 30-35 minutes until golden brown and baked all the way through.
Before and after baking!
5. Let cool, add toppings, and enjoy!