There is nothing cozier than smelling fresh banana bread baking in your oven! And it’s even better if the bread has some sneaky vegetables in it as a different way to eat your vegetables! I created this recipe for zucchini banana bread and it turned out very tasty. I think it’s kind of fun that it is green - it could be the star of Wicked, the baked goods musical and be called Elphabread! Thoughts?
Anyways, random musical theatre bread jokes aside (probably never thought you would hear that phrase!), here is my recipe for zucchini banana bread!
3-4 ripe bananas (the riper the better)
About 3/4-1 cup cooked zucchini (I used one container of Green Giant frozen zucchini noodles for convenience)
1/2 cup honey
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 ¼ cup flour (I used gluten free all-purpose flour)
1 cup oats
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
About 1 tsp cinnamon
I also added 2 dashes of turmeric to counteract the greenish color and because it has a lot of health benefits! But this is optional.
1. Preheat oven to 375 F. Squeeze the excess water out of the zucchini.
2. Line a bread pan with parchment paper and lightly grease it.
3. Add bananas and zucchini to a blender and blend until smooth.
4. Pour into a large mixing bowl and add in the eggs, honey, and vanilla.
5. In a separate bowl, mix the dry ingredients together. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix until smooth.
6. Pour the batter into the bread pan, and sprinkle some oats on top.
7. Bake for 45-50 minutes, or until the edges look golden brown and a toothpick in the middle comes out clean.
8. Let cool and enjoy plain or with chocolate tahini spread!