Chickpeas are truly so versatile - this morning, I baked some with cocoa powder to make a tasty “cereal” that tastes like Cocoa Puffs! I also added some peanut butter powder to half of the batch to make a Reese’s Puffs version. You could also bake the chickpeas without the cocoa powder or peanut butter powder for some Cinnamon Toast Crunch inspired chickpeas. This is a very easy recipe to make, and it’s a healthier version of a classic breakfast cereal that is vegan, gluten-free, and full of plant-based protein from the chickpeas!
I was never a huge cereal fan because I didn’t like how soggy it would get in milk - I preferred to eat cereal dry or with a small amount of milk - but you won’t have that problem with this chickpea version! This “cereal” is perfectly crispy and crunchy, and you can eat it with milk, yogurt, plain, or add it to some nuts and fruit for a little trail mix snack! I added raspberries to my cereal bowl with this, and it was delicious.
Makes about 1 ½ cups
1 can (15 oz) chickpeas, rinsed and drained
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp cocoa powder
1 tbsp peanut butter powder (optional)
1 tbsp honey or maple syrup
Good shake of cinnamon
1. Preheat your oven to 425 F.
2. Rinse and drain the chickpeas, and pat dry.
3. Toss the chickpeas in a bowl with the rest of the ingredients. It will be somewhat sticky.
4. Spread the chickpeas out in a single layer on a baking pan (use one with edges so that the chickpeas don’t roll off!), and bake for 10-15 minutes.
Note: The chickpeas will clump together a bit since
they are sticky from the honey, but try to spread them
out as best as possible so they roast evenly.
5. Remove from the oven - They should be crispy and crunchy! Let cool slightly and enjoy in a bowl with milk for a delicious and nutritious breakfast!