I made these cute little toasts for my tea party last week by combining a few flavor ideas I love, and they turned out great! They are so simple and quick to make. There is protein from the chickpeas, and I love the mix of textures and flavors that all complement each other so well.
I had a lemon vinegar at home that I used for the chickpeas, which was lovely, but you could use another citrus vinegar, or substitute white vinegar or apple cider vinegar if you don’t have this.
Here’s how to make it:
A handful (about ¼ - ⅓ cup) of fresh mint leaves, rinsed and dried
For the crispy chickpeas:
1 can of chickpeas
1 tbsp citrus vinegar
1-2 tbsp tahini
½ - 1 tsp ground ginger
Dash of black pepper
For the roasted eggplant:
1 small to medium-sized eggplant
2-3 tbsp olive oil
2-3 tbsp balsamic vinegar
⅓ cup almond flour
About ½ tsp salt
Dash of pepper
To make the crispy chickpeas:
1. Toss all ingredients together in a bowl.
2. Spread evenly on a pan/sheet and air fry or bake at 350 F for 15-20 minutes until crispy. 3. Check on them part way through cooking, and give the pan/sheet a little shake to evenly crisp the different sides.
For the eggplant:
1. Cut the eggplant into pieces about 1 inch thick.
2. Toss with the remaining ingredients.
3. Air fry or bake at 350 F for 15-20 minutes, until thoroughly soft and starting to get crispy on the edges
To put it all together:
1. Slice a baguette into pieces about 1 inch thick, then brush vegan butter or balsamic vinegar on top.
2. Top with the eggplant, chickpeas, and some fresh mint leaves! Enjoy while warm!