Happy French Toast Friday!! If that’s not a thing, let’s make it a thing by all enjoying French Toast! This is a recipe for grapefruit French toast with fresh mint - which might sound like a unexpected combination, but it is so tasty! It tastes bright and fresh and like summer; the flavors are a perfect complement to cozy French toast. If you’re not a grapefruit fan, you can use lemon or maybe even orange zest and fruit in this instead for another citrus variation.
I recommend using whole grain bread for the best health benefits - there are grains that are gluten-free too! To make the bread absorb the batter more, you can toast it before soaking.
The mint adds a great fresh flavor and complements the grapefruit well, but if you don’t have fresh mint, the citrus French toast will still be delicious. You could also pair this with some blueberries, as they go great with citrus fruit.
⅔ cup milk (I used oat milk)
2 tbsp ground flax meal
2 tsp vanilla extract
½ tsp almond extract
½ tsp cinnamon
1 tbsp grapefruit zest
3-4 slices of bread
Slices of grapefruit
Sprigs of fresh mint (optional)
1. In a dish that is slightly larger than a slice of bread, whisk all batter ingredients except the grapefruit zest together and place in the refrigerator to thicken for at least 5 minutes.
2. Heat a skillet with olive oil over medium heat. Add the grapefruit zest to the batter.
3. Dip bread slices into the mixture so they are soaked completely on both sides.
4. Place slices in the skillet and cook until golden brown - about 4-5 minutes on each side.
5. Let cool, layer with grapefruit slices and fresh mint, and enjoy!