Getting back to my chemistry roots (I was a chemistry major in college!) with this recipe, as it was truly a science experiment!
I had some very ripe bananas and was intending to make banana bread, then I spotted a bottle of kombucha in the fridge so I thought it could be cool to see if adding the kombucha would make the bread really fluffy, and it did! The texture of the bread is amazing, and I am really excited about this, and plan to try it again with other flavors of kombucha!
I would recommend a flavor of kombucha in the ginger and/or fruity range, so that it complements the banana flavor well. This kombucha was a lychee peach flavor, which just added a mild hint of flavor. The bread has a very mild banana flavor overall, so it can be great eaten with many types of spread such as vegan butter or a nut or seed butter such as pistachio. I also sprinkled edible flowers on top for a pretty decoration. You could use oat flour to make this gluten-free, and it is already nut-free.
Here is the recipe:
3 cups white whole wheat or all-purpose flour
3 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1-2 tsp sugar (or maple syrup - if using syrup, add with wet ingredients)
1 tsp cinnamon
Dash of ginger
pinch of salt
12 oz kombucha (I recommend ginger or fruit-flavored kombucha that will go well with banana bread)
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 mashed ripe bananas
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Lightly oil a bread pan.
2. In a large mixing bowl, whisk the dry ingredients together (flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and sugar).
3. Add the kombucha and mashed banana (and maple syrup if using this instead of sugar) and mix together. It will be a very thick and bubbly batter!
4. Add the batter to the prepared loaf pan and bake for 45 minutes, until the bread is lightly browned and a toothpick comes out clean.
5. Let cool and enjoy with vegan butter or nut/seed butter!