Upgrade a traditional PB&J by making it into French Toast! This recipe is a really fun and easy way to make French Toast with layers, with a twist from using pita bread! I have made layered French Toast before by adding a filling between slices of bread, but it can be tricky to keep the bread slices together while cooking. Using pita bread makes this a lot easier!
I used frozen berries that I had brought from my garden at home! You could also add jelly/jam inside the pita bread instead of, or in addition to, berries. I used crunchy peanut butter, but smooth peanut butter works too. You can use any type of nut butter, or a seed butter to make this a nut-free recipe. Just make sure that when you add the fillings to the pita bread, you don’t completely fill it because you don’t want it to overflow and spill out while cooking.
⅔ cup milk (I used this vegan nut milk, which has a great creamy texture)
2 tbsp ground flax meal
2 tsp vanilla extract
½ tsp strawberry extract
½ tsp almond extract
½ tsp cinnamon
2 pita breads, cut in half
About 2 tbsp peanut butter per pita half, and extra for drizzling
Optional: jam/jelly of your choice
1. In a dish that is slightly larger than a slice of bread, whisk all batter ingredients together and place in the refrigerator to thicken for at least 5 minutes.
2. Heat a skillet with olive oil over medium heat.
3. Gently open the pita bread halves and add a few tbsp of peanut butter and some berries to the bottom. Close the pita to spread the peanut butter around. It should almost completely fill the pita bread, but not right up to the edges so that it doesn’t come out while cooking.
4. Dip the peanut butter-filled pita halves into the batter mixture so they soak on both sides.
5. Place slices in the skillet and cook until golden brown - about 4-5 minutes on each side.
6. Let cool, drizzle more peanut butter on top, add berries and a sprinkle of cinnamon, and enjoy!