Happy National Hot Chocolate Day! In addition to enjoying some hot chocolate, of course, I decided to make a hot chocolate-themed bagel! The melty chocolate chips add the “hot” part to it! This is very quick and easy to make - it only requires 3 main ingredients, and takes less than 20 minutes to make! It is vegan and nut-free, and I have not tested it with gluten-free flour, but I would recommend trying gluten-free all-purpose if you try it.
I have been wanting to try making a single-serve bagel for a while, and I had vegan yogurt on hand, so decided to go for it and experiment with the theme of the holiday! This is a bagel, so it isn’t super sweet compared to a donut, but it is delicious! I didn’t add any sweetener to the bagel, so if you want it sweeter, you can add 1-2 tbsp of maple syrup or honey or use a sweetened yogurt. I topped mine with crunchy almond butter, more chocolate chips, and cacao toasted buckwheat for crunch!
Ingredients (makes one bagel):
⅓ cup of whole wheat flour
⅓ cup of unsweetened thick plant-based yogurt (I used this one - you can get a coupon by signing up for emails!)
½ tsp vanilla extract
1 tbsp cocoa powder
1 tsp of baking powder
Dash of salt
Dash of cinnamon
Chocolate chips (as many as you want, approximately ¼ cup can fit on the bagel dough)
1. Mix together all the ingredients except chocolate chips in a mixing bowl until it forms a dough.
2. Use your hands to form the dough into a log shape, then connect the ends into a bagel shape (you can do this on a floured surface if you wish, but I found doing it in the air/mixing bowl worked and was less messy).
3. Press the chocolate chips into the bagel dough.
4. Lightly brush or spray with oil, and air fry at 350 F for 12-15 minutes until risen and baked through.
5. Enjoy with hot chocolate of course! It also tastes great with almond butter and more chocolate chips, or berries.