I had the idea to try swirling spirulina into a bagel for a pretty design, and it turned out great!! I had so much fun making these vegan bagels! The blueberries and spirulina both add such pretty blue color to the bagel, and the hint of almond flavor complements the blueberries so well. I’ll definitely be making this often!
Here’s the recipe:
⅓ cup of whole wheat flour
1 tsp almond flour
⅓ cup of unsweetened thick plant-based yogurt (I used @foragerproject unsweetened vanilla bean)
1 tsp vanilla extract
½ tsp almond extract
1 tsp of baking powder
Dash of salt
Dash of cinnamon
1-2 tsp spirulina into a swirl
Optional: blueberries, sweetener
1. Mix together all the ingredients except spirulina in a mixing bowl until it forms a dough. If you want a sweet bagel, you can add about 1 tbsp of sugar.
2. Separate about one-third of the dough and add spirulina; mix/knead in until evenly blue.
3. Sprinkle flour on a clean surface, then use your hands to form the dough pieces into log shapes - one plain and one blue.
4. Twist the blue piece around the white one so you have a blue swirl, pressing the dough together. Separate into two pieces and connect the ends into 2 loops to make your bagels. Press blueberries into the dough.
5. Lightly brush or spray with oil, and air fry at 350 F for 12-15 minutes until risen and golden brown on the edges. Top with blueberries and almond butter, and enjoy!