I came up with this recipe for tahini coconut cookies for the Clover Food Development meeting because I thought that it would complement their menu as a sweet treat that follows their plant-based mission! They have food development meetings on Tuesday afternoons that are open to the public, where they share their new ideas, products, and recipes to get community involvement and feedback. You can sign up through their website and bring your own dish too!
This is a tasty healthy cookie recipe that is made with simple ingredients and a crunchy texture due to the coconut. The tahini gives it a nutty texture without being overly sweet, and makes this a great nut free cookies recipe. This recipe is also vegan and gluten free! If you aren’t vegan, you can use a regular egg in place of the flax egg. You can make this in one bowl and it is very quick and easy.
The recipe can be easily adapted for any nut or seed butter, and could also be dipped in chocolate for a great flavor combination!
makes about 20 cookies
1 cup tahini
1 flax egg* or regular egg
1/3 cup coconut flour
1/4 cup maple syrup
1.5 tbsp coconut oil
1/4 cup shredded coconut
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt
A dash each of: nutmeg, cardamom, and allspice (optional – the recipe will still taste good without these spices, but they just give it more flavor!)
*To make the flax egg: mix 1 tbsp flax meal with 3 tbsp water, then let set in the refrigerator for at least 5 minutes.
1. Preheat oven to 350 ºF, and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Prepare your flax egg , and set it in the refrigerator.
3. While the egg is setting, mix the rest of the ingredients together in a large bowl.
4. Add the flax egg, and mix well. The dough will be rather crumbly (similar to peanut butter cookies).
5. Roll the dough into balls about 1 inch in diameter, and place on the baking sheet, leaving a few inches between each cookie.
6. Press a fork gently into each cookie to flatten.
7. Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until the edges are golden brown. Let the cookies cool and become firm, then enjoy!
These also taste great as an ice cream sandwich with chocolate ice cream!