Happy National Peanut Butter Day!! I love peanut butter so much, so to celebrate, I made a peanut butter mug cake for breakfast! I added chocolate chips because peanut butter and chocolate is always a great combo, and made it in the shape of a heart because today I have my exam on cardiology - wish me luck!! I added a spoonful of crunchy peanut butter in the middle of the mug cake for a fun “surprise” when digging in (except it didn’t surprise me of course, since I made it)!
This was a perfect quick, healthy breakfast before my exam - I mixed everything but the baking powder and chocolate together last night, so it would be ready to pop in the microwave this morning. I also prepared the chia pudding overnight as well, and added it as a topping - the contrast of the cold pudding with the warm mug cake reminded me of adding ice cream to lava cakes! If you’re running short on time in mornings, mug cakes and chia pudding make for great breakfasts - either on their own, or together!
Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Mug Cake
3 tbsp white whole wheat, or all-purpose, flour
1 flax egg (1 tbsp flax meal mixed with 3 tbsp water, refrigerated at least 5 minutes until thickened)
4 tbsp milk of choice
1-2 tbsp maple syrup to sweeten as desired
2 tbsp peanut butter powder (or substitute regular peanut butter and add less milk)
½ tsp vanilla extract
½ tsp cinnamon
1 tsp baking powder
About 1 tbsp crunchy peanut butter
1. Lightly spray a microwave-safe mug with cooking spray/oil.
2. Mix all ingredients except peanut butter and chocolate chips together in a bowl - if preparing the batter in advance as I did, also leave out the baking powder until soon before you bake it.
3. Add in the chocolate chips.
4. Pour half of the mixture into the mug, then add the spoonful of peanut butter. Add the rest of the batter on top, microwave for one to two minutes (until the center is cooked through), then let cool. You can slide it out of the mug and slice it if you wish!
2 tbsp chia seeds
½ cup milk of choice
¼ tsp cinnamon
Dash of allspice (optional)
Dash of nutmeg (optional)
½ tsp vanilla extract
Splash of almond extract (optional)
1. Mix all ingredients together in a jar.
2. Close the jar and refrigerate overnight.
3. Enjoy in the morning by itself or on a warm mug cake!