Here is a fun new recipe to help you stay up-beet (couldn’t resist the pun) - red velvet blueberry pancakes made with beets! I found this cute temporary beet tattoo while packing to come home, and put it on as a nice reminder of the importance of a positive attitude - and of eating veggies and staying healthy!
I love using beets to make red velvet recipes because you get some veggies in your dessert and natural coloring - but you won't taste the beets at all! Some other red velvet recipes I have made using beets are Vegan Red Velvet Cake with Tiramisu Frosting (made this for my birthday!) and Red Velvet and Peppermint Donuts.
Makes about 8 small pancakes
Note: You can use all-purpose or gluten-free all-purpose flour instead of whole wheat and then adding the wheat gluten is not needed! It just adds some extra fluff to the denser texture of whole wheat flour.
½ cup cooked beets
¾ cup milk of choice
1 tsp vanilla extract
1-2 tbsp maple syrup or honey to sweeten (optional)
½ tbsp apple cider vinegar
1 flax egg (1 tbsp flax meal mixed with 3 tbsp water, set in fridge to thicken)
¾ cup whole wheat flour
1 tbsp vital wheat gluten
2 tbsp cocoa powder
1 ½ tsp baking powder
½ tsp baking soda
½ cup blueberries
1. Prepare flax egg and set aside in the fridge.
2. Add all wet ingredients except the flax egg and apple cider vinegar to a blender or food processor and blend until smooth and no beet chunks are visible.
3. In a large bowl, mix together the dry ingredients.
4. Pour in the blended wet ingredients to the bowl and mix until evenly combined.
5. Add the apple cider vinegar and flax egg, and mix well.
6. Fold in the blueberries.
7. Heat a griddle or skillet over medium heat and add oil.
8. Pour a few large spoonfuls of batter onto the skillet and cook for a few minutes, then flip and cook the other side.
9. Let pancakes cool and enjoy with more blueberries and an up-beet attitude! I also added Kite Hill Vanilla Unsweetened Greek-Style Vegan Yogurt on top, which was a delicious addition!