This is full of cozy and delicious flavor and I love how the rosemary and tahini add a bit of savory feel to the apples. This is a very quick and simple recipe to make, but tastes and looks very elegant! The flavor combination was an experiment and it turned out so well!
I made this recipe to use more of the tahini and rosemary I had leftover from some Thanksgiving cooking, and decided to update my Pomegranate Apple Crisp (recipe can be found here) with a holiday twist by switching the pomegranate flavor for rosemary to see what happened! I have been enjoying playing with rosemary and tahini and fruit combinations (see some quick meal ideas here), and thought that it would probably work well with apples - my hypothesis was correct!
This is vegan and can be made nut-free easily by simply omitting the nuts - you could add seeds instead if you want more crunch! If you want a stronger rosemary flavor, you could even add 4 tbsp of chopped rosemary.
Here’s how to make it:
5-6 apples (thinly sliced)
½ tbsp cinnamon
Dash each of: nutmeg, allspice, cardamom, ginger (or a few dashes of pumpkin spice)
1 tbsp vanilla
¼ cup maple syrup/honey
2 tbsp oat flour (almond would also work)
2-3 tbsp coarsely chopped rosemary (I pulsed it a few times in my blender to quickly chop it)
2 cup oats
½ cup oat flour (almond would also work)
½ cup crushed pecans
¼ to ⅓ cup crushed walnuts
¼ cup tahini
¼ cup maple syrup
1-2 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp almond extract (optional)
About ½ tbsp cinnamon
1. Preheat oven to 375 F. Lightly oil an oven-safe skillet or baking dish.
2. Mix the filling ingredients together. Mix the crumble topping in a separate bowl.
3. Spread the filling in the bottom of the skillet or dish (you can save a few apple slices to decorate the top with if you like).
4. Spread the crumble and extra apple slices on top.
5. Cover dish with aluminum foil and bake for 20 minutes. Add a few sprigs of rosemary for more decoration (optional).
6. Remove the foil and bake for another 15-20 minutes, until the crumble is crispy and the apples are soft.
7. Let cool, drizzle with tahini, and enjoy!